Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day Three: In the Eyes of a Design Student

It took awhile this morning to realize I was in Paris. Our first full day in Paris started with a lecture by Mr. Olivier Roux who used to work for the house of Dior. Mr. Roux lectured on the Parisian shops and different buying groups while we slowly began to understand the Parisian aesthetic which is very different from our own. For instance, American’s enjoy things to be pretty where as Parisian’s would rather they be interesting even if it could be seen as ugly to us.
After a break for lunch we met up again in the PAA garden to meet Madame Picco. When I signed up for this experience I knew we would meet Madame Picco and eagerly awaited this day ever since. Madame Picco was a premiere who worked under one of my idols, Madame Gres. Madame Gres was an amazing draper and we were honored enough, not only to go to the first exhibition of her work in Paris but also to be led through the exhibit by someone who worked alongside Madame Gres. As a matter of fact Mme Picco's original work for Mme Gres was amazingly featured in this exhibit.
I felt like I was with someone famous! As I turned the corner of one of the exhibit spaces and saw the first dress, with the trademark jersey silk pleating, I couldn’t stop myself from shaking. Here it was inches in front of me, one of the dresses I had seen in countless books that I had studied over and over for years. As Madame Picco walked us through the museum, where sculpture was intertwined with the exhibited garments I couldn’t help but feel I was floating as I tried to absorb ever minute and every word she said.
After Madame Picco left we headed over to a cocktail party where we were generously given invites to thanks to the Paris American Academy. The party was a pop-up store to celebrate up and coming Israeli designers. Their product designs ranged from furniture to accessories. Everything was amazing but one of the most popular items were the accessories made by MEDUSA created from patterned plastic.
I hope all of our days are this memorable, Jessica Moffatt

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jessica, for sharing this great experience. You can be sure that each and every day will be this memorable.

    ReplyDelete